Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Monday, Nov. 1. Seattle, WA. The Can-Can.


Actually Seattle was the first show of the tour, on August 21. Though it was Sept. 1 when we hit the road in my minivan, first I flew out there to do two shows with a wonderful trio my friend Amy Denio plays in, AMA. Though Amy was off on a Tiptons tour this time, we stayed at her house with her roommates. It was interesting to be back in the same house where the trip started after two months on the road. I remembered the Psychic Barber sign from the last time I was in the neighborhood.

On Halloween I had the night off. I went to an open mic with Jim Knodle, a trumpet player and one of Amy's roommates, to hear some (as he termed it) "pick-and-grim." Here is an extremely tall singer-songwriter in a zombie costume. He had a great song about a heartless tow truck driver.

After that Jim and I went to get something to eat at Hattie's Hat Restaurant. I love this picture of him.

There glowing light in the background blur above is a woman with a fantastic umbrella.

On Nov. 1 I discovered that the reason the serpentine belt keeps coming off in my van is that when we replaced the belt tensioner back in Lincoln they most likely didn't put the splash guard back on. That's why this problem only happens when it rains. We're so busy each day until the end, with such long drives, that we probably aren't going to get it replaced, but just hope for dry weather. Here are some photos I took of trees on my walk back from where the van died this time.

I ran into my friend Abel at the C & P, wished I could have spent longer catching up. But I had to make it to a recording session with Bobby. We recorded my song "Sutherland" on the classical guitar I borrowed from my friend Melissa in Portland. I hadn't been to Bobby's studio before. It's a cozy studio, but there is room for this impressive hat collection.

After that it was off to the show, at the Can-Can with Bill Patton and Low Hums. The Can-Can is a bar at Pike's Place with reddish lighting, lots of curtains and a fun dressing room.


Both bands were really wonderful. I sang with Low Hums on their song "First Flower."

Low Hums

Bill Patton

Also I was rescued today. Dave Rabe (of Ron Wax) from Lincoln called up his buddy Doran who lives in Seattle to ask if I could borrow his guitar for the rest of my tour. (Melissa Rochford in Portland loaned me the classical, which I liked, but just for a couple of days). Long Live Doran (and Dave).

The Can-Can show was great, I liked the other bands so much.

There is a sad part of our visit, though, that I didn't want to talk about that at first. Which is that Tabla the dog, belonging to Amy's other roommate, Cindy, passed away while we were there. Tabla was a wonderful large old dog. Seeing her go was heartbreaking. Rest in peace, most dignified beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment