Friday, October 15, 2010

Thursday, Oct. 14. Wichita, KS. The Vertical Violet.


The show tonight was at Vertical Violet, a whimsical old house in Wichita. The backyard even has chickens. We played with Ghostbeard and Mike Adams. Some friends and family came to the show, very good to see everyone. The family who live and put on shows at the Vertical Violet are doing so much for art and music in Wichita. And the place was a kid's paradise. Check out the lego castle in the guest room.

This was the last show of the tour with my drummer, Gary Foster. We will miss him so much as we head west. We'll play together again this winter!

A friend in Austin (RKF) described the tour as a pinwheel. We left Sept. 1 (though there were also some shows in Seattle and Nebraska the week before). I started out with a loop around the Midwest with my Lincoln band. Then Gary and I set out for the East Coast, where we met up with Philip Gayle, who played guitar and mandolin with us for part of that leg of the tour. Bassist Max Johnson also joined us for the New York shows. Then Gary and I played as a duo through the South. And I'll be on my own through the rest of the tour, up the West Coast, down to New Mexico, and up to North Dakota, finishing up in Iowa on Nov. 16. (The whole tour schedule is up at www.emberschrag.com if you are curious). Lots of live collaborations with different musicians throughout the tour, too, with Kath Bloom, The Black Twigs, Ron Wax, Mal Madrigal, Ex Oblivione, and, most frequently, The Chiara String Quartet, who played five shows with me during the trip. And I'm traveling with Bryan Day, who is frequently sharing the bill.

On the road the next day we discovered an enormous antique mall in a truckstop. I bought a pair of weird shoes for $2.50.


Lillian and Gary with antlers


Look magazine 1963 on dangerous youth

We got to see our friends Jay and Wendy in Lincoln. Here’s Jay with his pear tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment