Friday, October 22, 2010

Thursday, Oct. 21. Amarillo, TX. The 806.


My birth father, Tom, lives in Amarillo, TX. We just met for the first time last year.


We spent some time out at his house and met some new animals that have taken up residence in his yard and barn.

Tom’s a falconer and a master bagpipes player. This is his new peregrine falcon, Phantom.

He also has three Harris hawks.

Tom and I played a show together the day we met last May at a place called The 806 in Amarillo, and that’s where I played tonight. The current art show at the 806 was appropriate for the holiday season.

The show went well, and I got to meet one of Tom’s falconry apprentices, as well as hang out a little with my dad’s best friend, Bruce. Tom and Bruce told us stories about playing the pipes together in Scotland. The 806 had these flowers they were calling “Electric Buttons” and advertising as a psychedelic experience for the mouth.


After the show we went back to Tom’s place and Bruce cooked us a proper Texas supper.

I hope to stay longer next time, and see these falcons in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment