Monday, September 13, 2010

Sunday, Sept. 12. Champaign, IL. Mike 'n' Molly's.

Idyllic day in Champaign-Urbana. This was a day spent on patios. First we had breakfast fajitas on the patio belonging to our friends Nic and Heather Dillon, who play in the band You & Yourn. The fajitas, and the French toast casserole the Dillons’ friend Gillian brought over, were delicious. The Dillons’ patio is huge and has a hammock.

Then our friend Morgan Orion had us over for dinner, which his dad cooked, vegetable soup and cornbread with sesame seeds. We ate on their patio. There was a rain barrel by the porch, sesame seeds in the cornbread, a bumblebee in the zinnias, and Sriracha for Obama.

After that I went to play the show, at Mike ‘n’ Molly’s with You & Yourn and Kayla Brown. It was an outdoor show, again on a patio. I don’t have any pictures though, except of the ivy and this blurry one of You & Yourn.

Their new songs are beautiful. After the show, more patio-sitting with Nic and Heather, with ice cream, tea and bug candles.

At the show I met a relative for the first time. I was going to say a “long lost” relative, but I guess I’m the long-lost one in these meetings: I was adopted. I've found my birth parents now, so this kind of meeting actually happens fairly regularly with my birth parents’ extended family, especially when I’m traveling. I was surprised at first when a nice woman with long silver hair came up to me and introduced herself by saying, “Your mama married my little brother,” but I quickly figured out what she was talking about. My birth mother’s first husband was her brother. The woman’s name was Carol. She and her husband just moved to Urbana. Her children are artists and scientists; she is very proud of them. She had us over for breakfast the next day, and we got to meet her cute grandson, Otto. The house they live in is amazing.

Our stay in Urbana was really pleasant. We went running twice and went to Morgan’s twice. He played a brand new song for us and gave us some apples. The only other thing I have to say about the day is that Nic and Heather’s dog is my favorite dog. This is Sadie.


No comments:

Post a Comment