Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wednesday, Sept. 15. Kansas City, MO. The Brick.

It was a wet, dark evening in Kansas City. We played with the Chiara Quartet at a bar called the Brick.

My band played first. Then the quartet and I performed the two songs of mine that Jonah, their violist, arranged for us to play together, “La Maria” and “Jephthah’s Daughter.”

After that we got to sit and have a few drinks and watch the Chiara Quartet play two sets. Those people are amazing.

Two sweet twenty-year-old boys came up to talk to me between sets. I know how old they were because one of them told me it was his birthday. Then they tried to evangelize me. They said they liked my music and wanted to know where I get the inspiration for my songs. I said something vague, and one of them asked me if I ever have dreams, nightmares, or “angelic encounters.” What a weird question. He launched into some intense statements about what I’m supposed to be doing with my life. After coming up to me, they sort of fled. I did think they were sweet in a way, you know, very heartfelt—but come on, weren’t they listening? I said I’m not a prophet. Have I ever had angelic encounters? Sure: I just saw the Chiara Quartet play. New rule: anyone who tries to evangelize me has to at least buy my CD first. The show was great, but I’m ready to get out of the Midwest for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment