Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tuesday, Sept. 7. Chicago, IL. Uncommon Ground

Nice to wake up in Monee, where we stayed at my birth mother’s place. She’s got a farmhouse there, south of Chicago. Gary went for a jog and I was going to go too, but my cool Aunt Debbi pulled up in her mini-van and scooped me up instead. Debbi loves my song “Iowa” and I guess her friend Lisa is a fan, too. Debbi wanted me to come over to the Bark ‘n’ Bath, the dog grooming business Lisa owns, to play a little smoke-break-length set for Lisa at the tables out back. Debbi also wanted to show me her old cockatoo Bubba. Bubba was too loud to keep at Debbi’s house, always making a fuss, but he’s a real character. Debbie gave the bird to Lisa since the Bark ‘n’ Bath is a really loud place all the time anyway, dogs barking, water whooshing, dryers blowing. There were about twenty happy dogs hanging out inside.













I played “Iowa” and “La Maria” for Debbi and Lisa outside. Lisa ended up booking me as the music for her Oktoberfest party to take place in the same backyard on 10/16. I figured adding a show at a dog grooming place sounds like fun, as we’ll already be playing lots of houses, a playground, a print shop, and a handful of thrift stores on the tour.

The show that night was at Uncommon Ground on Clark, a handsome restaurant. This was my second show there. The sound was really good and it was cool that my family came to the show. We played with this duo, Barnfires.

No comments:

Post a Comment